Textile Briefs International


1. The European Union has imposed new security screening on imports from Bangladesh, a move that is likely to make it costlier for businesses in the South Asian country to sell products to EU nations. During the fiscal year 2015-16, the garment industry exported $17.15 billion in goods to the EU accounting for 60 percent of the industry's exports.

2. Indonesian domestic textile products have continued to lose their foothold in the domestic market over the past five years as imported products control 70% of the country’s domestic textile market, which is estimated to reach US$10 billion a year leaving only 30% of the market for domestic products, as stated by the Indonesian Textile Association ( API) chairman Ade Sudrajat.

3. Ethiopia is aiming to generate the US $30 billion from the export of garments and textiles by the year 2025, an ambitious target for a country whose shipments are the only US $115 million during 2016-2017. The Ethiopian government is looking at the textile and clothing supply chain as one of the country’s key target areas for growth.

4. The Indian Union government has announced a Rs. 6,000 crore special package for the textile and apparel sector. The package aims to help in creating one crore jobs, mostly for women, in the next three years, said Textiles Secretary Rashmi Verma.

5. The textile industry of India has urged the government to place all products across the textile and apparel value chain under the lowest slab of the Goods and Services Tax (GST). The industry seeks 5% taxes without exemptions in order to avoid all possibilities of tax evasion. The applicable rates are currently between 5% and 7%.The Clothing Manufacturers Association of India (CMAI) in a representation to the Commerce Ministry said that the low GST rate for the textile sector will boost domestic textile production and encourage voluntary compliance.

6. The Iranian apparel market is worth an estimated $12 billion per year. Some $2.6 billion worth of clothes are imported into Iran every year and according to members of apparel unions, twice this amount is smuggled into the country. According to Director General of the Association of Iran Textile Industries Mohammad Mehdi Raeis-Zadeh, out of more than 90% of fake foreign brands sold in only 25 to 30 brands have sales permits from the main companies and/or their representatives.

7. The garment industry in Myanmar earn about $1.836 billion in the financial year 2016-17 that ended this March. According to the Ministry of Commerce,  Myanmar exports around 33% of its CMP products to Japan, followed by 25% to EU. It also supplies clothing items to South Korea, US and China.

8. In 2016, production of US man-made fibre and filament, textiles and apparel shipments was around $75 billion, an 11% increase from 2009, according to the National Council of Textile Organizations.

 

 
Copyright 2017 Ptj.com.pk   Design: PTJ Graphics